Re: Web proxy enhancements

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:21:21 -0700

Caching, in and of itself is only a small part of the answer.
As with any server, you'll want to monitor your server's performance over time
to see what aspect of the system takes the hardest beating, then try to balance
that out.
Serving web requests in the most timely manner is most often degraded by faulty
or nonexistent name lookups.
Whil;e the built-in DNS caches of the Firewall and Web Proxy services make
those lookups happen faster (when the contents are in those name caches),
they'e also subject to long-term cache poisoning adn if the name lookups fail,
it take more time to recover from that.

HTH,

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:03:55 +1000
 "Greg Mulholland" <gregstelatel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Has anyone done an article or has any words of wisdom relating to improving
the performance of the web proxy cache for clients. Im not happy atm with
the reports, the breakdown shows (what I think) is too many requests being
retrieved directly from the internet.

Maybe im confused, in that this is showing me that the web proxy has not
cached this material previously, rather than the client  not using the proxy
for these connections to the net. Even still im wondering whether it can be
improved. Im an not really looking to use pro active caching or scheduled
content downloads at this minute.

Comments, questions, beer

Greg Mulholland
Stelatel Communications