VPN Recommendations

  • From: "Tim Comes" <TComes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:33:08 -0500

 We closed down one of our factories and moved it to a location across
town and I have a question about what any of you would recommend the
best way to setup a WAN. Right now we are on a half a T1 here and 256k
Wireless Internet connection at the remote site. They terminal in
through my ISA box with a Citrix client to one of our Citrix Servers.
That works great for E-Mail and basic office applications but they can
not print out some of there batch jobs from our Unix box since it would
not see the network printers at the remote site and they can not use and
of the customized programs that need access to the hardware network
security keys so I need to setup a VPN. What would you recommend? Should
I setup a 2000 server box with ISA on it or would a straight 2000 box be
ok for them since security is not a big deal since all the data here on
our server in which is protected through our ISA server? They only have
4 PC's so a proxy is not that important neither. My other choice would
be adding an open reach VPN box there since we have one here to connect
us too our corporate site but that would add another $100 monthly fee
for there small network.

Tim Comes               MCSE, MCP +Internet, A+
Smith Equipment Network Admin.
2601 Lockheed Ave       (605)882-8232
Watertown, SD 57201     tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx