VPN Questions

  • From: <patricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:40:26 +0100

I have setup ISA to accept VPN connections from the internet. I have got
it mostly to work, just a few strange issues. Can anyone help ?

1. If  I connect from a Win2K machine which is a member of the domain
the ISA server is in, all is fine. I have tried this from a Win98
machine which is not part of any domain, VPN connected OK, but I cannot
ping any internal addresses. I have only tried one Win98 machine, so
this may just be a config issue on this client.

2. In the PacketFilters log, I keep getting the following entry :-
2001-07-25      00:18:34        10.49.xx.xx     255.255.255.255 Udp
137     137     BLOCKED
 10.49.xx.xx is the ip address which RAS has picked up from the DHCP
server and is using as its main RAS address.
How do I stop this ?

3. On one of my internal clients, the Firewall client is resolving the
ISA machine name as ip 10.49.xx.xx (same as above) which ISA is not
listening on. Most of the clients are resolving the ISA machine name
correctly.

Also, I am aware that using the windows explorer to navigate a share
over a RAS connection is painfully slow. In the past I have always used
a terminal server client or the equivalent. I do not wish to do this for
the people I am providing  RAS for now. How does everyone else handle
this ?

Patrick Scott