Re: Using applications on server

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:35:34 -0800

Using any Winsock application on the ISA itself is fraught with issues,
because many of them use complex protocols and work best when the FW client
is installed on their host.
Since you can't install the FW client on the ISA (actually, you can; it's
just a really bad idea), that limits you to packet filters for those apps.
WMP uses TCP-1755 and UDP-1024-5000 for MMS protocol, so that makes for a
screaming buttload of PF to create.
ISA wasn't designed to operate in the contexts of a workstation, so there's
little support for doing that.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/