[isalist] Use of an ISA server between server farm & client PC's

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:46:10 +1000

Hi,

I've been asked to implement a novel solution for a new client.

They are replacing an existing single SBS w3K with premium technologies, with a
six server 'solution' spread across 2 sites, designed by the technical director
who by the way is a civil enginer, not an IT person. In the process they are
moving from a single building to 2 buildings, partly for redundacy, but mostly
because of the need for a chinese wall between the 2 user groups from a client
contract perspective.

The 2 sites are only 800M apart, and will linked using 2 wireless access points
and high gain antennas, this should work OK. But the 2 sites will have
different non trusted domains, separate e-mail domains, etc, basically
operating as 2 separate companies, with only board level management the same.
Under this arrangement I'm not sure why the wireless link exists, but I'm sure
that a good reason exists.

There proposal is for each site to have an ADSL2 internet Link, feeding into a
dual nic'ed ISA2004 server, then into the main application server running W3K,
exchange 2003, SQL 2005 doing active directory WINS, DNS, DHCP.

The novel part of the solution is then for a second dual nic'ed  ISA server to
'publish' the servers to the LAN where the users workstations are located.

Whilst I've never done or seen this config before, I can't see any reason why
it would not work. They have already purchased all of the servers, software,
disks, UPS's, and other hardware, they are just asking me to put it all
together and get it working (with a big fat caveat sitting on top).

But, does any one of you wise gentlemen have any comments or suggestions on how
this will work, or any likely pit falls to be avoided.

Regards
Glenn