RE: URGENT - FW Client cannot connect to ISA

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:37:56 -0600

Hi William,

There's a chance its related to the following. AFAIK, there is no fix :-(

==============
Jorgen
Junior Member
Member # 8800

  posted November 15, 2002 12:13 PM
** NEWS FLASH **
Microsoft has managed to reproduce our problem in their lab AND they have
managed to find the cause.. no cure yet though :-(

IF you have UDP based publishing (any UPD not just DNS) AND a Site and Content
filter containing FQDN the following happens;

Incoming UDP requests are checked against the Site and Content rules by
attempting to do a reverse lookup on the incoming IP (to find a FQDN to match
against the IP).

If this for some reason fails (like the requesting IP not being in a reverse
zone) then the ISA tries to make a NBTSTAT query against the remote IP to find
the FQDN.

Once it has succeded, failed or timed-out on the incoming request it will then
process the request.

This can take some time (at least on my side we just drop incoming netbios so
those will have to timeout) and during that time the ISA is gobbling up UDP
connections.

With heavy traffic this will at times cause the pool of available UDP mapppings
to be full so that incoming requests first have to wait for another request to
make it through the S&S rules before itself can start the path through!

So if;
- you have a remote client that is not in a reverse zone and that can not be
resolved by nbtstat AND if it is re-requesting the DNS information after say 5
seconds
- then you can easily end up in a situation where
- the requests are being held pending, in wait for a process slot, while the
ISA is trying to resolve the FQDN of a previous request FROM THE SAME MACHINE!

So the good news is that they know why and the bad news is that it sounds like
it is a fundamental change that needs to be done!

Possible workaround, no S&S rules! Not sure I want to go that way....

Was this clear? If not, drop me a line and I'll try again....

/Jörgen

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder