Transparent caching using a L4 switch

  • From: "xTango" <xtango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:21:01 -0600

Hi,

I'm new to the list.
We are trying to do transparent caching using an Alteon Acedirector 2
layer 4 switch. I mean, we are actually doing it, but with two squid
(linux) boxes. Now, we want to do the same using Microsoft ISA Server but
we can't. We don't want ISA server to route all packets. We only want our
switch to redirect HTTP connections.
We get an error informing that the URL is not correct (which is true). It
is a valid HTTP request, not a valid proxy request.
Let's see... ISA is expecting a proxy connection:
GET http://www.domain.com/file.hth HTTP/1.0
but it complains about an incomplete URL because it's receiving a regular
http get:
GET /file.htm HTTP/1.1

Is there any workarround?
I mean... is this is "transparent", so the client doesn't know it's using
a cache. So... why do I get this error?

Thanks in advance.
Ernesto