Re: Time servers

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:59:13 -0700

Windows time uses dest port UDP-123, not TCP-139.
TCP-139 is a NetBIOS port.

Make sure you have a protocol rule (internal host) or packet filter (ISA
itself) allowing a path from UDP-<any> to UDP-123.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:01:11 -0400
 "Mark Strangways" <strangconst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Good day all,

It appears that I am no longer able to connect and sync my server to an
external time server such as the USNO as I did before with windows 2k.
Apparently (unless I misread) Net time requires a PDC to sync FROM, as I do
not have a PDC is there a way I can sync my local server clock to a NTP
server in the external world.

I have been trying w32 time service but it seems to want to sync using USNO
as a PDC. It is trying to connect on TCP 139, which likely isn't going to be
meet with any great enthusiasm on the US Navy's part :-)

Thanks,

Mark