[isalist] Re: Think Outside the GUI challenge #2

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:03:31 -0800

..and closer still.

The problem is exactly that; a web filter or ISA (mis)configuration is
blocking CARP or Intra-Array status requests.

Cust #1 - Intra-array traffic blocked by filter or ISA configuration

ISA array members determine array membership availability using a
two-part process;

1.       Query ISA storage for array membership

2.       Query each server for its status via the web proxy listener on
the defined intra-array IP.

This status request is made as
http://intra.array.ip.addr:web.proxy.port/array.dll?Get.Info.v3.  The
queried server will respond with its current availability as configured
in CARP load settings.

If:

1.       ISA storage gives incorrect information about

a.       the array membership

b.      the Intra-array IP of those members

2.       The web proxy listener on the Intra-array IP defined for server
'X' is either non-functional or misconfigured

..then intra-array status queries will fail.  When this occurs, the
requesting server will remove the unresponsive server from the WPAD
server list.

Cust #2 - Server-side CARP blocked by filter or ISA configuration:

Not counting Amy's interpretation :-p, CARP comes in two flavors;
server-side and client-side.

1.       Client-side CARP is a web request from a client that is able to
use the same cache-discovery algorithm as the ISA array members to
direct the request to the server most likely to actually hold the
content.  For IE, allowing automatic discovery or "Configuration URL"
allows this to occur.

2.       Server-side CARP is a web request between ISA array members
that is made on behalf of the original client.  This occurs when the
clients are not configured, or simply don't know how to use the wpad
script.  More often than not, the application is configured to use a
static proxy, but this can also occur with SecureNET & FWC traffic as
well.  Note that these requests are made to the Intra-Array IP as
defined in ISA storage <HINT>

When ISA "A"  needs to ask ISA "B" for the content being requested, it
does so using a two-part process (David hinted at this):

1.       ISA "A" authenticates to ISA "B" using its machine account as
part of a request for http://ms_proxy_intra_array_auth_query.   For ISA
Servers as domain members, this authentication should be Kerberos.  If
not, or the Kerberos ticket request fails <HINT>, it will be NTLM.

2.       If the authentication is successful <HINT>, ISA "A" forwards
the original client request to ISA "B"

Thus, if

1.       the web filter is not aware of the two requests that cannot
contain user-accounts, and it fails all requests that cannot be resolved
to users,

..or

2.       The web proxy listener for the defined intra-array IP is
disabled or otherwise non-functional,

Server-side CARP and Intra-Array status requests will fail.

..on a side note...

There are at least two separate web filters that I know of (can't talk
out of school, tho) that will make their own LDAP-based user-account
lookups even after ISA has already provided them with the "domain\user"
context.  This happens because these applications allow (nay; encourage)
you to use something other than your own AD- or SAM-based user-grouping
mechanisms.  If you use Windows or AD groups to organize users into "FTP
allowed", "kitty porn allowed" groups, there would be no need to
duplicate this effort in a separate user grouping process.

Oh yeh - Happy ThanxGiving, everyone!

                Nope; all IP & DNS settings and records are proper for
each deployment.

                All CSS communication is proper.

                All ISA storage data is proper.

                Don't tell me you all give up so easy?