[isalist] Re: Telnet question

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:41:58 -0400

Dan,
Not sure about Norton. But we had a server with McAfee enterprise.
McAfee has a setting to prevent certain applications from opening an
SMTP connection using port 25. It allows only well known email
applications to open port 25 for SMTP, such as,

agent.exe, amgrsrvc.exe, apache.exe, ebs.exe, eudora.exe, explorer.exe,
firefox.exe, firesvc.exe, iexplore.exe, inetinfo.exe, mailscan.exe,
MAPISP32.exe, modulewrapper*, mozilla.exe, msexcimc.exe, msimn.exe,
mskdetct.exe, msksrvr.exe, msn6.exe, msnmsgr.exe, neo20.exe, netscp.exe,
nlnotes.exe, nrouter.exe, nsmtp.exe, ntaskldr.exe, opera.exe,
outlook.exe, Owstimer.exe, pine.exe, poco.exe, RESRCMON.EXE,
rpcserv.exe, SPSNotific*, thebat.exe, thunde*.exe, tomcat.exe,
tomcat5.exe, tomcat5w.exe, VMIMB.EXE, webproxy.exe, WinMail.exe,
winpm-32.exe

All other applications are blocked as "mass mailers". I had to add
telnet.exe manually to the exception for the telnet a.b.c.d 25 to work.

Check if Norton does something similar.

Regards,
Raj