[isalist] Re: TMG Release

  • From: "Mayo, Bill" <bemayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:52:17 -0400

I'm saying that if I am paying for the maintenance, which includes new
versions of the software, and I keep that maintenance paid up, why does
Microsoft care which versions I do or don't implement?  It's not like
you are paying Proxy Server 1.0 prices for the maintenance, because the
maintenance increases in price every year, relative to the price of the
newest product (since the price of Microsoft software only goes one way,
that is always an increase).  I have never seen SA renewals that are
tied to a specific version; it is always listed as the main product
name.  Moreover, for many titles you generally pay more for the software
using SA than you do if you just buy each version from scratch, so it
sure is confusing to me why Microsoft would go even further towards
discouraging folks from getting SA.

In your example, let's say I did purchase Proxy Server 1.0 with SA.  I
continued to pay SA, but when 2.0 came out, I did not upgrade.  When SA
came up for renewal this time, the price increased relative to the cost
of the new version and I continued to pay SA on that title.  Continue
this cycle through the versions and ISA, in each case I pay for the SA
renewal, the description of which continually updates based on the
then-current product name, I just don't choose to actually install every
upgrade, for which I have clearly paid.  You are saying that I forfeited
the right to get the upgrade at the point in time when I declined to
install Proxy Server 2.0.  Here's my question: Why did Microsoft take my
money?  And can I get a refund?  I understand that there are some modest
ancillary benefits, but we never use them (I think I have contacted
Microsoft product support once in 12 years, for example), and they are
certainly not worth the amount of money you spend for SA.

For clarification, the "I" above is a generalization.  We have pretty
much paid for every version of Proxy Server/ISA Server over the years
and only bought SA for some specific things (upon which we did exercise
our upgrade rights).