Super Slow Motion ISA...

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:41:27 -0500

Okay, I've got a doozy for you guys to contemplate (you know I never
have simple problems)...

This morning I had to change the IP addresses of some computers in a
network set I had setup previously.  They were off for many days, so
when they came back up they got a different IP address from the DHCP
server.  I made the changes to the IP addresses, and clicked "Apply".  I
then went into the DHCP MMC (on a different server), and tried to add
those IPs in as reserved addresses so it wouldn't happen again.

A short time later, I noticed that I couldn't get to any web pages (not
even our internal webserver), so I turned off the proxy settings in IE,
and everything worked fine.  Not long after that, more people reported
the same problems, so I started more troubleshooting.  With no Proxy
settings, browsing the web worked fine.  However, we need to have
SurfControl running, so people must use the proxy settings.  I ran a
monitor session on a couple of computers that were having problems, and
they were showing up as "anonymous" connections, so that was the reason
why they weren't getting through, they have to be a member of a user
group allowing them access.

So, I rebooted the ISA server.  Browsing worked for a couple of minutes,
then it stopped working again.  I rebooted the PDC and the ISA a couple
more times, with the same result.

I logged onto a different workstation to see if the same results were
happening, and they were.  So, I rebooted that computer, and then logged
back onto it about ten minutes later, meanwhile watching the live log
monitor on the ISA server.  Now the baffling part... When I opened IE,
several of the log entries were from a user that was logged onto that
workstation about a half-hour earlier, but were showing up in the logs
as real-time requests!

Everything else is working fine, only the proxy server seems to be
affected...

Ideas anyone?

(ISA 2004, Windows 2003 Server)