From: Nathan Casey [mailto:NCASEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 3:13 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: Server publishing

http://www.ISAserver.org

Very good suggestion, but the users that access the internet application
make changes that would need to be replicated back to the internal SQL
server. The  one-way transactional replication scenario would not work
for this app.

>>> thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/1/2004 12:45:24 PM >>>
http://www.ISAserver.org

To add to the previous (and excellent) points of Shawn and
The Good Doctor,
I would *highly* recommend considering populating the DMZ
with it's own SQL
server (with proper licensing, or course.)

Any leveraging of SQL injection-type attacks would afford
an attacker the
luxury of executing code on a box within your internal
network.  Further,
from an authentication standpoint, I would imagine that
your internal SQL
box (assuming MS sql) would have to be configured to accept Mixed-mode
authentication (with the ADODB connection strings containing user
credentials) -- a far weaker authentication model than
NT-based
authentication -- that or (heaven forbid) you've got shared domain
membership between the DMZ web server's IUSR account for the internal
SQL box to accommodate authentication of the web application's requests
for data.  In either case, a compromise of the web server would give an
attacker credentials that could be used on your internal network, as
well as a direct path (1433) into your network.

A DMZ-based SQL box could be locked down, and the internal
box could utilize
one-way transactional replication to the DMZ.  In this
model, there is no
static port open to the internal network, there are no
shared credentials
(the internal box's replication push would use creds on the
DMZ box and not
the other way around) and any compromise would leave the attacker in the
DMZ.  Further, the available data on the DMZ box would be limited to
that required by the application.  My bet is that your internal SQL box
has data above and beyond that required by the web app.

Just a thought.