[isalist] Re: SMTP Connection Closed

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:43:34 -0800

Captures

Isa live logging

Get it

Quit guessing

From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Gerald G. Young
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 6:51 AM
To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isalist] Re: SMTP Connection Closed

Resending since the first message got garbled.

> I enter telnet mail.domain.com 25 (hit enter) the line disappears and

> the curser just sits there and blinks - no banner - nothing. If I hit

> enter again it goes back to the C:\ prompt.

This is a half pipe opening but not being able to complete the
connection, as your ISA logs also seem to be indicating.  Is this
occurring only from one location?  What happens if you telnet to the ISA
box from a source on the same subnet as it is?  Do you still see these
half pipes?

Several other people reported being able to connect to your system
without problems, so continue to validate the scope of the issue.  Is it
just a single remote location that is having the problem or are there
many?

I was also able to successfully connect.

In the past one cause of this behavior was a asymmetric route; a member
of a firewall (CheckPoint) pair died without dying (accepted traffic but
didn't process any) and because of that, traffic would come in through
one member and attempt to go back out through the other.

If this is only occurring from one location, you may want to see what
kind of network devices they have sitting between the client you are
telnetting from and the server to which you are telnetting.

HTH.

Cordially yours,

Jerry G. Young II

Product Engineer - Senior

Platform Engineering, Enterprise Hosting

NTT America, an NTT Communications Company

22451 Shaw Rd.

Sterling, VA 20166

Office: 571-434-1319

Fax: 703-333-6749