RE: RPC over HTTP Client Host Entries

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:44:59 -0600

This is from the actual doc and should be self-explantory.

The RPC over HTTP client machine must be able to resolve the name of the
Exchange server to the name that is on the server's Web site certificate
and the name of the Exchange Server machine. Recall that the name we
assigned to the Web site certificate on the OWA server is
owa.msfirewall.org. The Outlook RPC over HTTP client machine must be
able to resolve this name to the IP address on the external interface of
the ISA Server 2004 firewall that listens for incoming requests to the
Exchange server. In our current example, this is 192.168.1.70. In
addition, the RPC over HTTP client must be able to resolve the actual
name of the Exchange Server to the IP address on the external interface
of the ISA Server 2004 firewall used in the Web publishing rule. For
example, if the name of the machine on the internal network is
exchange2003be.msfirewall.org, then the external client must be able to
resolve this name to the IP address on the external interface of the ISA
Server 2004 firewall.

In a production environment, you should have a split DNS infrastructure
that correctly resolves names for both internal and external network
clients. We have not created a split DNS infrastructure in our example,
so we will use a HOSTS file to resolve owa.msfirewall.org to the correct
IP address.

Perform the following steps to create the HOSTS file entry on the e-mail
client machine:

1.       Right click Start and click Explore.

2.       Navigate to <system_root>\system32\drivers\etc and open the
HOSTS file in Notepad.

3.       In the HOSTS file, enter the following lines under the
localhost entry:

192.168.1.70     owa.msfirewall.org

192.168.1.70     exchange2003be.msfirewall.org

Ensure that you press ENTER after you complete the line so that the
insertion point is under the new line. Otherwise, the new entry won't be
recognized.