Re: Querying logs

  • From: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:29:30 -0700

Eyeing Jim, huh? I won't worry until you start playing Gordon Lightfoot songs for him ;)

Though the db route seems like a "last resort" to you, there is some cool stuff you can do if you decide to go there... If you log to SQL, not only do you get rich data gathering and analysis capabilities for reporting, you can also take advantage of somewhat real-time procedure execution in a more robust environment... For instance, a "run while idle" job can easily aggregate log data in pseudo-real-time to launch email/pager/etc alerts, or execute "rule injection" scripts back to the ISA server that are suited to your needs. (Note that "run while idle" requires the MSSQL service to be running as a local admin, so secure that box well if you use RWI as opposed to something that runs every few minutes or so...)

I've been planning to implement something like this for 2k4 as I used to do with 2k when I get some free (HA!) time... But let me know if you'd like some help with the SQL end of things. I've messed with SQL once or twice ;)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>