RE: Pop UP Ads

  • From: "Frederic Giroux" <fgiroux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:14:13 -0400

Jim Harrison said...

_________________________
Resolving requests to IPs and vice versa was part of the security design of
ISA. If someone makes an IP-based request and ISA doesn't have any IPs in the
lists (or the other way around), the default behavior is to "gather all the
data possible and make an intelligent decision."
_________________________

        This makes perfect sense but it also leads to the problem that we are
faced to.

_________________________
Unfortunately, since most of the Internet "entities" don't have the
slightest clue how to design, establish or maintain their "DNS space", and
consequently, this functionality is broken.  This isn't getting any better
with the plethora of "joe's website" being hosted by AOL , "rentaweb" and
practically any ISP on the planet.
_________________________

        You're right about problems into "DNS space".  However, hosting several
web sites on the same server using the same IP is a feature of many web servers
including IIS.  This is not a DNS problem but a lack of IP addresses.  I'd be
curious to know how many web sites there are on the planet and compare the
number to the available IP addresses (really available IP addresses of course).

_________________________
If you want ISA to use the rules strictly as written then you have to add
the SkipNameResolution... registry entries spelled out in
_________________________

        Thanks for the link.  I must say that I hesitate to implement this fix
not knowing what other implications this might have.  On the other hand, users
are able to access sites that they should not be able to access.  Being able to
access them only by IP address is certainly not as bad as letting them use a
simple URL.

        Thanks again :-)

        Fred

______________________________