[isalist] Outlook Anywhere And Cross Realm Trusts

  • From: William T Holmes <wth1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:30:40 -0400

Hello,

I have a configuration in which I have a Cross Realm Trust between a Windows
2008 Domain and an MIT V5 Kerberos Domain. If I attempt to login via OWA using:
user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then I am successfully logged onto OWA. However if I
attempt to log onto Outlook Anywhere from an Outlook 2007 Client then the logon
is unsuccessful and the following event is generated on the exchange mailbox
server (not the CAS server). If I attempt the same logon using the
user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx then the logon is successful.

In addition if the client computer is actually a member of the Windows Domain
you can you use either the Windows or MIT Kerberos credentials to logon even
when logged onto a local (non domain) user account.

What I am trying to accomplish is: A non-member workstation logon to Outlook
Anywhere using the MIT Kerberos Server as a Authentication Source. The goal is
to have the end users log on using their existing MIT Kerberos Principles. The
MIT K5 Principles are mapped to Windows User Accounts using the Security
Identity Mapping Applet from Active Directory Users and Computers.

I know this isn't necessarily a ISA question but I thought this group might
understand the auth issues involved.

Thanks

Bill

An account failed to log on.

                Security ID:                            NULL SID
                Account Name:                     -
                Account Domain:                 -
                Logon ID:                               0x0

Logon Type:                                          3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
                Security ID:                            NULL SID
                Account Name:                     user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Account Domain:

Failure Information:
                Failure Reason:                      Unknown user name or bad
password.
                Sub Status:                             0xc0000064

Process Information:
                Caller Process ID:  0x0
                Caller Process Name:            -

Network Information:
                Workstation Name:              WS1
                Source Network Address:    192.168.80.128
                Source Port:                           1546

Detailed Authentication Information:
                Logon Process:                     NtLmSsp
                Authentication Package:     NTLM
                Transited Services:                -
                Package Name (NTLM only):              -
                Key Length:                           0

This event is generated when a logon request fails. It is generated on the
computer where access was attempted.

The Subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the
logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local
process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.

The Logon Type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested. The most
common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).

The Process Information fields indicate which account and process on the system
requested the logon.

The Network Information fields indicate where a remote logon request
originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in
some cases.

The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this
specific logon request.
                - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have
participated in this logon request.
                - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the
NTLM protocols.
                - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key.
This will be 0 if no session key was requested.