RE: Open Ports

  • From: "Geldrop, Paul van" <paul.van.geldrop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:08:28 +0100

True. However, with the assumption that a) you actually own the system and b)
you want to use the port-knocking mechanism (therefore making it wanted code),
the concept isn't bogus.
My intention is to have a go at it on my testing environment, just because it'd
be fun to try. :P
I wouldn't dream of even mentioning the concept at a customer.
As far as 'owning the machine', I can imagine you're also referring to the fact
I don't 'own' the ISA server's internals. True. Combining an ISA server as
back-end with, say, a UNIX machine in front with port-knocking on it, however,
would solve that problem. I'm also aware there are plenty of progs available to
do that for me, but, ah hell, I like playing around with code at times. ;)

De : Jim Harrison [mailto:Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Envoyé : 19 janvier 2006 12:09 À :
[ISAserver.org Discussion List] Objet : [isalist] RE: Open Ports

http://www.ISAserver.org

You've been to GRC.com again, haven't you?
:-P
Both HTTP and FTP use the TCP protocol to get where they're going.
It's a basic precept of TCP communications that you can't respond to a
connection request if you don't accept them.