RE: Open Ports

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:28:25 +1100

I understand both points of view. My personal 2c's worth is that i sleep better
at night knowing that you need the "secret knock" as it were and that i have
done other little things that, whilst they might not deter a true hacker, they
stop than their fare share. Its the same analogy with spam. It also gives me a
little bit more of a window to catch such attacks and deal with them
appropriately.

Now there are some who would say that i am going to bed with a false sense of
security, because i don't understand that its not going to stop the "good" bad
guys. But unless I become a huge target for the Russian Mob (borrowed that
mate!) then I will not worry so much. I've kindof always stood with thor on
this one and those "security/obscurity" minded folk.

Mind you if I wanted to be totally secure, I wouldn't run anything and would
read and have sex all day long...mmm sex...

Greg Mulholland