RE: OWA on the ISA server

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:49:06 -0600

Hi Andy,

It sounds like he wants to put together a Front End/Back End sort of
solution using the ISA Server itself at the Front End. Its an
interesting idea, in that many people feel that its better to have
external network clients interact with the ISA Server rather than the
Exchange Server on the internal network. The problem is how much do you
impact the security on the ISA Server itself when you publish WWW
services living on it viz. allowing external network clients to connect
to the Exchange Server. Its an interesting question and I don't have any
hard data on what would be more secure or pose less risk.

However, I would agree with everyone else here that probably the best
line of defense overall is to keep all extraneous services off the ISA
Server. Now, if you have a private address, back to back DMZ, then I
would consider going with this suggestion. Check out ISA Server and
Beyond for all sorts of details on OWA publishing and DMZs.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
http://tinyurl.com/1jq1 <http://tinyurl.com/1jq1>