RE: OT: RE: Legal consequences (Was: RE: OT: Loser found responsible for worm)

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:16:44 -0500

Hi Jim,

Its cool to disagree. The reason why I don't like RBLs is that the
people who maintain them aren't very professional. They aren't
accountable, they can put anyone they like on them, and they thumb their
collective noses at people who question the inviolate nature of their
mission. Now, if they took responsibility, had a mechanism to be removed
from the RBL within 24 hours when they make a mistake, and published
their methods for determing how they add and remove entries from their
RBL, then they would be legit in my eyes.

Note that I don't have any problem for blacklisting SMTP servers
configured as open relays. But those machines should be removed from the
RBL within 24 hours that the open relay has been fixed.

But as it stands now, most of the RBLs I'm aware of are run by people
who are almost as abusive as the spammers the claim to protect us
against. That is to say, they're run by power hungry little trolls who
probably have never kissed a girl ;-) (or boy, if run by a woman).

IMHO,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder