RE: OT - GFI spamfilters

  • From: "Joe Pochedley" <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:58:11 -0400

Keith,

Best thing to do, when a person leaves the company (or otherwise is no
longer issued a mailbox) is to leave the mailbox active for awhile and
unsubscribe from any mailing lists, newsletters, etc that are 'real'
(non spam)...  That way those incoming messages aren't stealing your
incoming bandwidth any longer...   Then, after you're sure that the
mailbox is only recieving spam (no real email or unsubscribable mailing
lists), remove the SMTP address from the mailbox and add the SMTP
address to a distribution list with no recipients.  When the mail comes
into the SMTP address it gets distributed to 'nobody' and is effectivly
removed from the system... It of course sill wastes incoming bandwidth
and system resources to recieve the message (I don't think anyone has
figured out how to get around that yet) but at least it doesn't generate
an NDR are clog up the admin box with garbage...

HTH

JoeP

  _____