[isalist] Re: OT: DNS and Forwarders

  • From: "Amy Babinchak" <amy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:22:25 -0400

It won't make Thor happy, but it's not bad. Does the PIX have DNS server
or proxy? If so you could forward to it. I've only messed with the PIX
501 once and that was more than a year ago.

On the other topic: I've settled in on 3 ISA servers for that client. 2
at the main office and 1 at a remote site. Might need some more later
for other sites but this will get us off to a flying start.

Amy

From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Amy Babinchak
Posted At: Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:47 PM
Posted To: ISA
Conversation: [isalist] OT: DNS and Forwarders
Subject: [isalist] Re: OT: DNS and Forwarders

Joseph,

Are you saying that you need DNS functionality on a network without a
firewall? In that case you have no choice but the use the DNS server
provided by the ISP. You also have larger security concerns than DNS.

If what you are saying is you have a non-ISA non-SBS environment with a
firewall appliance you can usually use this appliance as the DNS server
for your workstations provided you buy one in the $200+ range. If you go
with the $50 model, when then you're in the same spot as paragraph 1.

Amy

From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thor (Hammer of God)
Posted At: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:50 PM
Posted To: ISA
Conversation: [isalist] Re: OT: DNS and Forwarders

I've found that many people seem to dance over the security
ramifications of
DNS/forwarders when designing an infrastructure.  I had some off-list
conversations about this, and thought that it may be valuable to fully
flesh-out what I think the issues are and how to avoid them.  Now's also
probably a good time to share my "trick" regarding publicly available
DNS
and minimizing service exposure.  So, for the benefit of those who are
interested:

When AD DNS is configured as a forwarder, all domain members using that
DNS
server will be able to resolve hostnames directly from their IP stack.
There is no operational reason to have this-- when one considers that
most
spyware/malware/trojans/backdoors/shells/etc typically depend on
hostname
lookups for direct access to a resource, the capability of a client box
perform direct host lookups outside your network should (to me) be
considered unwanted and un-needed.  Personally, I qualify it as
"dangerous."

That's why I always configure my AD DNS with a root (.) zone- that way,
only
local zones may be queried by the client's stack.  I typically only use
web
proxy clients for HTTP(S)/FTP where all DNS is proxied by the ISA box.
If
one needs direct DNS for another application (say DOS FTP) then use the
FWC
and all DNS will be resolved over the control channel, still being
proxied
by the ISA server.

The ISA server itself will have whatever "public" DNS server configured
in
its stack so that it can do the resolution for the clients.

Not only is direct client DNS "dangerous," but having an AD box set up
as a
forwarder is "dangerous" as well as the box must be configured to access
remote resource over TCP/UDP 53.  This also means that you've opened
that
box up for incoming traffic on TCP/UDP 53 as well.  Having static paths
into
your internal network from source port routing is crazy.  I can push
anything I want over 53, not just DNS (and have ;).  Remember, the DNS
filter is only for published DNS servers, not clients requesting DNS
lookups.

But there is the issue of one wanting complete control over host names
and
the need to publish your own DNS.  This is what the DMZ is for.  The DMZ
box
is set as a forwarding server, and the internal ISA box is set to use
that
box for all DNS requests.  In this way, only the ISA box itself need to
request DNS outside the internal network, and it is already protected.
In
this manner, there is no DNS leaving the internal network at all, and no
static ports into the internal network-- only the ISA box looking up
DNS,
and only to that DMZ resource.  The DNS server in the DMZ is protected
by
the border ISA box, which (where necessary) is publishing DNS to the DMZ
for
remote hosts to look up your domain information.  And here the DNS
filter is
used.

But you can get even better than that-- you can actually be fully in
control
of your own zone data without having to actually publish your DNS to the
world if you have a decent ISP.

Here's what I do for that-- I have DMZ DNS servers set up as primary DNS
zones, and have told my ISP to set up their servers as secondary zones
for
my domains.  The DMZ box can only zone transfer to the IP's of my ISP's
DNS
servers.  Additionally the DMZ box is set to forward to my ISP's cache
servers.  So, at this point, all internal AD DNS is stopped at the
controller, and only the ISA box can resolve DNS and only to the DMZ DNS
server.  My internal Exchange clusters' stack resolves to the AD
controller,
and they smart host deliver mail to my DMZ GFI gateway, so still no DNS
leaving.  The GFI box in the DMZ uses the DMZ DNS.

The trick is that though I'm primary DNS, and though any changes I make
my DNS hosts are immediately replicated to my ISP as secondary DNS, I've
registered my DNS with the domain registry as my *ISP* being primary.
So
the world resolves my host names via my *ISP's* DNS servers, not *mine*.
don't even have to publish DNS at all.

The end result is that no DNS requests leave my internal network at all,
except for a single DNS box in the DMZ that can only resolve to the ISP
DNS
caches.  There is no publishing at all, no internal paths, no vulns,
nothing
at all since the world resolves to the ISP boxes yet I have full control
over all host name entries.

It's a pretty tight config.

On 10/18/06 11:01 AM, "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh
all: