[isalist] Re: OT: DHCP and static addresses

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:08:53 -0800

I prefer static for servers & devices (print servers, etc.); DHCP for all else..
If you ever replace a server NIC and you forget to change the MAC in the DHCP
reservation, your server could be unavailable until you either re-register the
IP or fix the reservation.
It's just a question of "how solid is your process control?"

Jim