Re: New List

  • From: "Anthony Michaud" <anthonym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:33:41 +1000

<snip>

> The ads are gone also, though Lists are quite expensive to
> keep, therefore i
> might eventually introduce adverts again, though this time,
> they will be
> promoting ISA Server related products and i will leave the
> ads at the bottom
> of the messages for minimal inconvenience.

Why?  They prove nothing, only to annoy most subscribers of the list.
You've had at least two offers to host the list - so this should not be
an issue!  The problem with advertising on such a widely distributed
mailing list is that the advertisements are going to be applicable to
some of the list - unless you specifically look for products that the
newer staff don't know about, and that haven't been discussed already.

I seriously doubt that advertisers will generate any income, and the net
result will be that you're sending out *more* data, annoying list users,
although you might slightly offset the cost of running the list.

I'll stand by the statement that if advertising becomes too
inconvenient, I'll either move to another list that doesn't have
advertising, or another medium altogether.

I would like to ask that if you do decided to put advertising on anyway,
before advertising please notify the list with adequate lead time, to
either voice opinions again, or to unsubscribe.

Anthony.