[isalist] Re: New Articles on Tales

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:48:58 -0700

As usual, you prefer to cherry-pick than read.
I'm not arguing that Exch Edge "should" be a DM; rather that it *can* be a DM
and still meet the business and security needs of the deployment.  In fact,
many of the same arguments Tom offers in his "ISA as a domain member" article
apply equally to the Exch Edge deployment; management, patching, access
controls, etc...

Perhaps it was poorly stated in my initial response, but my argument is with
those who "always" or "never".  There are exceptions to every "rule" and many
of those with good reason.  Anyone who proposes that "this is always better"
ignores the requirements and limitations of the environment and business needs
and thus serves their customers poorly.

For instance, while I strongly dislike the SBS deployment model (much prefer
the EBS model for small business), there are valid business reasons to deploy
it; most of them dictated by $$.  In the EBS deployment, your edge server is a
DM and is as secure as it can be, given the goals of the typical EBS deployment.

To your comparison of ISA and TMG as DM, while offering AD-focused features,
they also provide features targeted at those deployments where the
firewall/proxy is not a domain member. These were added to serve the
non-DM-minded folks; whether they be TFHC or DiD.  In fact, the majority of
comments received by the FF Edge team arguing against placing a DM at the edge
were not reasoned, DiD-based discussions, but rather "the security team says
'NO FREAKIN WAY!!!' and they won't discuss alternatives". Since MS is a
profit-based company and profit is negatively affected by a lack of sales, we
tend to remove sales blockers, even if the blocker is based on unreasoned
requirements. I fight this on a daily basis.