Re: Load Emulator

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:10:45 -0700

Load simulation of ISA for one deployment may be uninteresting or even
completely invalid for another deployment.
ISA was designed to function in a variety of environments, and as such, a
single protocol test doesn't really answer the "how much can
ISA handle" question.
Since it's very much a "what kind of environment" question, you have to
determine for yourself how much of what kind of traffic you expect to pass
through ISA and then collect and use the proper load simulation tools.
There have been some tests performed to see how ISA handles specific
protocols, but they've been very focused.
Also, you have to consider your Internet connection; if you have a T1, you
can probably use a single PII-450 with 256 MB RAM for basic traffic flow,
since your bottleneck is a 1.45Mb/S pipe.

Regarding the BlockAttacker script, it's designed to operate "per server".
I can see no benefit to making it more of a DoS tool than it already is.
Frankly, I'm seriously considering discontinuing support for that script as
it's more trouble than it's worth.
It was written more as an instructional aid than anything to actually use on
a production server.

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver