Legal consequences (Was: RE: OT: Loser found responsible for worm)

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:08:05 -0500

Hmm, I've started thinking...
The kid is probably going to be put to jail for a long while and given
some hefty fines for billions of dollars worth of damages probably.

Should we treat virus writers (and modifiers) as rapists and murderers?
For the most part, most viruses do not deal bodily harm or really hurt
someone.
Hmm, interesting question.
I believe I recall one of the viruses (Sobig or Lovsan) that screwed
over a Nuclear Power Plant. Many people could have died because of his
actions. Not just cost business's money, cost people their lives.
Should Microsoft be held partly responsible for not devoting enough to
security or should people have their own fault to blame because they
didn't update their machine, or should it all go to the virus writter?
OR spread it around?
If I write a virus and it deals $100 million, but the guy across the
street writes one and it deals $4 billion, will the consequence be
adjusted accordingly?

In my administration folder (A folder which received emails that state
if anything weird happens), I get 100+ more emails per day of prohibited
attachments and such because this dude wrote a virus. On the other hand,
I get _more_ emails from spammers. Almost all those viral emails are
directed towards only 4 people of our <50 person company.

Something to dwell on for the day.

Kenny Mann