RE: It is necessary to restart the Firewall service to apply new policy rules

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 06:55:26 -0800

ISA 2000 can take awhile to make policy changes effective; ISA 2004 does
a much better job of this.

DO NOT USE "IPEnableRouter".
Let me say it again:
DO
NOT
USE
"IPEnableRouter".

This is a TCP/IP registry setting that effectively "gets around" ISA
routing.
ISA is *(NOT)* a router, although it's possible to pass traffic across
ISA to another network *(IF)* you configure the rules and the clients
properly.

Since you only have two interfaces, one of those networks is seen as
"external" by ISA and all traffic from that network will be blocked by
default.

MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
http://isatools.org