RE: Internet Access and OWA access

  • From: "Alex Gonzalez" <AGonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:30:52 -0400

Why is the DNS server on a different Network ID? There is no DNS in the DMZ

Are there Networks behind the ISA firewall?  The ISA server sits in a DMZ so
yes.

Does the default gateway provide a path to both the Internet *and* the OWA
server? From the ISA server I can get to the OWA server and the Internet but as
far as a path, are you talking about like a layer 3 route?

IP? Is this what appears on the "To" tab? If so, this won't work. The entry on
the "To" tab must be same as the common/subject name on the Web site
certificate bound to the OWA site. Ok this I can change.  That means I need to
create an internal host record for it then correct?

So the listener is listening on this address only, right? Yes.  There is a
firewall NAT from a 198 address that nats to this.

Use Forms-based authentication or Basic auth. FBA is more secure and you should
use it whenever publishing an OWA site. Remember to turn off FBA on the
Exchange Server.  Ok this I can change but how is ISA going to get the OWA FBA
form?

If the ISA firewall is a domain member, or if you have a RADIUS server on the
corpnet, then you can pre-authenticate at the ISA firewall, which is a more
secure config. The server is a domain member.

I suspect your have a routing problem or a name resolution problem. This ISA
firewall must be able to resolve the name on the "To" tab to the address of the
OWA site, depending on the routing relationship between the ISA firewall's
Network and the OWA server's Network (Route or NAT).  And let me guess.  It's
because DNS sits on a different segment and the server is single homed on a
different one with no DNS?

P.S -- See, if you're willing to put up with just a little abuse, you can get
some helpful info (I learned this from Jim H. ;-)  I dont mind too much abuse
and I appreciate the help.  I am more of an Exchange/AD/SMS (which is getting
boring) guy.  This ISA stuff is new to me but so far I am liking it quite a
bit.  I thought SMS was a pain to get working.

Thanks for all the help.

Alex