RE: Interesting problem...

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:21:46 -0800

Hi Dan,

Actually, it does.
ISA doesn't care how you've built your LAN.
What it does care about is that if a host wants to cross its boundaries,
the ISA policies allow it.

Using the root servers isn't unexpected if your LAN DNS servers aren't
"root" themselves.
If the PDC is also your primary LAN DNS server and it needs to perform
root lookups, then it also needs to be part of the DNS access policy.

Another way to get around this is to install a caching DNS server on the
ISA itself and let the LAN DNS servers forward to it.