ISAserver.org - Monthly Article Update

  • From: "ISAserver.org" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:34:01 +0200

ISAserver.org - Monthly Article Update

Hi ISAlist,

New articles added to ISAserver.org last month:

Title: Using Outlook 2003 with the Firewall Client
Author: Thomas Shinder
administrators stating that they can’t get Outlook 2003 to work through the ISA
firewall. With further questioning, I’ve discovered that these ISA firewall
administrators are using the Firewall client. It’s great to hear they’ve had
the good judgment to use the Firewall client! The Firewall client gives them
strong user/group based access control for outbound connections for all Winsock
TCP and UDP protocols. The Firewall client is one of the key pieces of the ISA
firewall that enables it to provide a high level of security that your typical
hardware firewall could never provide. This article solves the problem and
explains away the Outlook/Firewall client misconceptions.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004olpop3smtp.html

Title: Step-by-Step: Publishing a Single Exchange 2003 OWA with ISA 2004
Firewall Forms Based Authentication by Liran Zamir
Author: Thomas Shinder
securely publish Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access using forms-based
authentication and SSL bridging to provide a higher level of security in web
mail access. I believe this step-by-step article will take out some of the
guess work that I went through when checking the configuration.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/tutorials/2004owafba.html

Title: Preventing P2P and Instant Messaging programs from hijacking your
network with ISA 2004 Firewalls by Greg Mulholland
Author: Thomas Shinder
uphold the integrity and productivity of their networks. Some of the major
issues they have found with these potentially dangerous applications (P2P,
IM’s) are the potential to disclose corporate information (source code etc) in
a non mediated forum, the misuse of company resources, legal issues, possible
virus incursion and simply the fact that it is another (flavor of the month)
type point of attack, potentially jeopardizing the entire network.
This article will describe how in simple terms we can leverage a new feature of
ISA Server 2004 to prevent these types of applications clogging our internet
pipe and exposing our company/network to the above issues.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockp2pim.html

Title: The ISA 2004 Firewall ISP Co-location Configuration
Author: Thomas Shinder
what I call the "ISP co-location" configuration. I wrote about this
configuration for the ISA Server 2000 firewall in an article Configuring an ISP
Co-located Web/SMTP/ISA Server. I called this an ISP co-location configuration
because in an ISP co-lo environment you typically don’t have the option to
install a server with multiple interfaces. So, if you want to run your ISP
co-located Web, FTP and SMTP server, you need to do it with a single NIC. Check
out this article for how to create the single NIC colo config with your ISA
2004 firewall.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004ispcolo.html

Title: ISA Server 2004 Generally Available
Author: Stephen Chetcuti
(ISA) Server 2004 marks the availability of an important new solution in the
quest for better corporate network security. ISA Server 2004 is an advanced
application layer firewall, VPN and Web cache solution that helps enable
customers to easily maximize existing IT investments by improving network
security and performance.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/news/ISA-Server-2004-Generally-Available.html

Title: Using ISA 2004 Firewall Domain Name Sets to Control Internet Access
Author: Thomas Shinder
the key security features seen in true stateful application layer inspection
firewalls. Unlike simple stateful filtering firewalls, the stateful application
layer inspection firewall can make allow or deny decisions based on application
layer information, such as the name of the user or the user's group membership,
when evaluating an inbound or outbound request. This article discusses how to
use the ISA 2004 firewall's Domain Name Sets feature to control outbound access
and block forbidden sites.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004domainnamesets.html

Title: Real Time Web Monitoring with GFI's WebMonitor 2 for ISA Firewalls
Author: Thomas Shinder
How about an easy way to disconnect users who are downloading giant sized
files? If so, then you need GFI's WebMonitor 2. This is a *must have* FREEWARE
utility for all ISA firewall admins. Check out this article for details on what
GFI WebMonitor 2 can do for you.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/software_reviews/2004webmonitor2.html

Title: Blocking the Slammer Virus with ISA 2004 Firewalls (v1.1)
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockslammer.html

Title: Blocking the SoBig Virus with ISA 2004 Firewalls (v1.1)
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blocksobig.html

Title: Blocking the MyDoom Virus with ISA 2004 Firewalls
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details and a link to Jim Harrison's *free*
script that does it all for you.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockmydoom.html

Title: Blocking the Bagle Virus with ISA Server 2004 Firewalls
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details and a link to Jim Harrison's
click-o-matic script that does it all for you.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockbagle.html

Title: Using ISA 2004 Firewalls to Block Worm Attacks (v1.2)
Author: Thomas Shinder
the plate is their ability to block a wide variety of viruses and worms. The
ISA 2004 firewall can block external users from infecting your network and the
prevent infected hosts on the corporate network from infecting machines on
external networks. This page will be updated on an ongoing basis with links to
articles on how to configure your ISA 2004 to block widespread virus and worm
attacks.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockworms.html

Title: Using ISA Server 2004 Firewalls to Protect Against Ject
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details and a link to Jim Harrison's one of a
kind, best of breed Block Ject script for ISA firewalls.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blockject.html

Title: Using ISA 2004 Firewalls to Protect Against Sasser (v1.01)
Author: Thomas Shinder
article for full step by step details and a link to Jim Harrison's out of this
world Block Sasser script for ISA firewalls.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004blocksasser.html

section to unsubscribe.
ISAserver.org is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp.
For sponsorship information, contact us at advertising@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright © ISAserver.org 2004. All rights reserved.