RE: ISA has slowed down

  • From: "William Robertson" <robertson.william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:10:28 +0200

Hi Sachin

I would think that if you have forced the clients to use a LAN Proxy and it
now appears faster, this could maybe be due to DNS. I won't even attempt to
go into the serious workings of DNS, IE and ISA, but my own opinion is that
there is some serious interaction between these 3.

Anyway, my thinking is that you may have some serious saturation on your
outbound link that could be placing a large load on your DNS Servers
(possibly as a result of some infection), this means that by placing the LAN
Proxy settings in IE you could be alleviating that step in the WEB-surfing
process as the clients no longer need to query.

The bottom line is that I had a similar problem wherein some of my client
workstations were infected with Nachi and the then initiated MANY outbound
ICMP echo requests and this really brought down my link.

I would suggest that you check your FIREWALK log and try and spot the IP
Addresses of your internal clients that appear "with repeated frequency".
This is how I managed to identify the workstations that were infected on my
network.

Cheers
William R.