ISA and Dial up

  • From: "Tom Soulsby" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:58:51 -0600

During my various rebuilds of ISA and trying to make it work *well* with
my DSL line I have concluded:

Having 'use dial up entry' on Network Configuration works well for
outbound web access.

Having 'use dial up entry' *as well* on the default routing rule (for web
proxy dial up) can cause clients not able to ping/dns through ISA ?!?!?

Web Publishing does not seem to be affected by the use of dial up.  Once
the connection is established, web publishing works reliably.

The same is not true for server publishing.  This will only work reliably
if the DUN connection is made *before* the services start - to make ISA
work for me I have to perform the folllowing:

Logon (now auto logon with screen saver lock)
Initiate dialup manually
stop/start ISA services

I belive there is a batch DUN command so I hope to automate this.

Let me know if your experiences are different and any tips/traps you may
have.
Cheers,
Tom.