RE: ISA 2004 on VMWare ESX

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:35:01 -0700

To be clear -

I'm not saying that you can't get it to work - its clear that you can.  I run
ISA on Virtual Server and VPC all day to repro customer issues with great
success.
What I am saying is that the standard support statement for ISA is this:
- ISA is not supported on virtual machines in production environments.

It wasn't tested this way prior to shipping and until the ISA test team can get
that done, the support statement remains.

Andy is (surprisingly) correct in one thing - if a large customer wants to
convince MS to support them, then that may happen.
The thing to keep in mind is this:
- just because Megacorp can get support in now way indicates that anyone else
will.  This is called a "one-off" and actually serves to provide real-life
testing.

The two reasons this isn't supported for everyone "our of the box" are:
1 - large companies generally have folks on staff with real experience in
complex deployments
2 - they'll provide a case study and allow direct access to the servers when
required.

..neither of those are typical of smaller (especially one-man) shops.