ISA 2004 - Will this work? Should I wait?

  • From: "Iain Peirse" <Iain.Peirse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 02:10:27 -0600

Hi all,
I'm in the process of specifying a new firewall setup for a customer.

They currently have a single ISA 2000 machine, having recently introduced
a web based application to run their business they are keen to have a
solution that gives them some redundancy.

I am llooking at recommending Rainwall for ISA on two new machines so that
the current solution can continue working while the new setup is tested.

This seems to me like an ideal opportunity for a migration from ISA 2000,
but this will depend on two factors:

1. How long until ISA 2004 is released?
2. Will Rainwall support 2004 at its release?
(I'm approaching Rainfinity on the second point, I'll let you know if they
get back to me)

There is a further point I will need to address that I'd appreciate your
opinions on. The app they use is currently on W2K/IIS5, its due to be
upgraded to W2K3/IIS6. They would like a redundant webserver setup, or at
least a quick way of switching from a live server to a backup server.
Since the site is SSL secured they currently have a hosts files on the ISA
server that defines the internal IIS machine. Is this how ISA 2004 works
and is this a good semi-manual way of have a hot backup IIS server? (ie
change the hosts entry to point at the backup when/if needed). What are
your preferred 'fully automatic' failover procedures?

Apologies for the long post, (answers in essay form of 2000 words or less
please ;-)

Iain.