Re: How I spent my Christmas vacation - Email found in subject

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:37:08 +1100

Danny

Why not do what I did instead of lookup ldap directories directly, to
counter that sort of dependency on another machine for mailflow (you
know, DC goes down, or some firewall issue prevents connection, and all
of a sudden we start rejecting mail etc.  I didnt want that!)

What I did was write a script that runs on a windows box internally,
that yoinks all smtp addresses out of the AD for given domain names
(like all krystaltek.com etc) and compiles a text file which is then
scp'ed to the postfix box.  A cron job on the postfix box picks this up
and sticks it in the right place (/etc/postfix/valid_recips) and
postmaps it.

If the scp'ed file is more than x minutes old, the cron job on the
postfix box complains to us via nagios.  Likewise, if the file isnt
picked up by the cron job, the next time the windows script runs, it
complains (two processes checking each other is cheap and easy
redundancy.)

If the whole thing goes to pot, at least the postfix box is just running
with an out of date copy of the list, rather than no list at all :D

Greg Mulholland
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean i dont understand - Homer
Simpson