Re: How I spent my Christmas vacation

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:56:25 -0500

On 1/3/06, Thomas W Shinder <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No. The inbound SMTP relays are in a DMZ away from the core critical
> assets, such as Exchange, SharePoint and Active Directory.

It appears as though you have created a false sense of security
because you have created a DNS DoS; your blog story is proof of this.

> The relays accept mail only for my domains, [...]

I would hope so!

> and then scrub for viruses and spam.

Don't forget to rinse after scrubbing.

> While the LDAP queries would prevent this issue, I don't consider the
> inbound relays as part of the same security zone as the Exchange
> Servers. Why? Because the spam whackers are 1. Internet facing, and 2.
> must accept anonymous inbound connections.

What threats are you trying to mitigate?

My RFC-friendly general rule of thumb for mail servers is to only
accept email for recipients that exist!  Google: email backscatter.

...D