Re: How I spent my Christmas vacation

Hi Danny,

No. The inbound SMTP relays are in a DMZ away from the core critical
assets, such as Exchange, SharePoint and Active Directory. The relays
accept mail only for my domains, and then scrub for viruses and spam.
While the LDAP queries would prevent this issue, I don't consider the
inbound relays as part of the same security zone as the Exchange
Servers. Why? Because the spam whackers are 1. Internet facing, and 2.
must accept anonymous inbound connections.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Site: www.isaserver.org
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls
**Who is John Galt?**

 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Danny [mailto:nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx] 
> Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:15 PM
> To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
> Subject: [isalist] Re: How I spent my Christmas vacation
> 
> http://www.ISAserver.org
> 
> Interesting article, but why is your mail server sending out NDR's to
> spammers?  Do you not Filter Recipients Not in your Active Directory?
> 
> ...D
> 
> On 1/3/06, Thomas W Shinder <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://www.ISAserver.org
> > Here's an interesting story on Internet performance issues:
> >
> > 
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/Blog/cns!1p9yz6owxXl-uIlyq
> IZXkCrg!390.entry
> >
> >
> > Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
> > Site: www.isaserver.org
> > Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/
> > Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
> > MVP -- ISA Firewalls
> > **Who is John Galt?**
> >  ------------------------------------------------------
> > List Archives:
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> > ISA Server Newsletter:
> > http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> > ISA Server FAQ:
> > http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > Visit TechGenix.com for more information about our other sites:
> > http://www.techgenix.com
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org 
> Discussion List as:
> > nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx
> > To unsubscribe visit
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> > Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 
> --
> CPDE - Certified Petroleum Distribution Engineer
> CCBC - Certified Canadian Beer Consumer
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> ISA Server FAQ: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Visit TechGenix.com for more information about our other sites:
> http://www.techgenix.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org Discussion 
> List as: tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 


Other related posts: