Re: How BAD is SQL on ISA?

  • From: "William Robertson" <william.robertson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:02:55 +0200

Ok everybody, I think I get the picture. The bottom line is that I
shouldn't consider compromising my ISA Configuration by installing SQL
Server.

On the other hand, I am still not entirely convinced that I want to get
ISA Server to log directly to a different server, because if anything
happens on the network or that other server, then my ISA server won't be
able to log and thus all Internet Surfing will be compromised, if not
disabled.

In light of this, I propose the following, leave ISA Server to log to
flat files, and then every morning I run a batch script to "archive" the
previous days logs into a SQL Server database on a different server. As
far as I can tell this is possibly my best approach, except for the fact
that the importing data from the logfiles into SQL could become quite
hairy.

I see that Jim Harrison has a script on his website that will apparently
do just this, but it is unfortunately only for the WEB Proxy logs, so I
was wondering if anybody out there actually has some .vbs & .sql scripts
that will cater for all 3 logfiles?

Cheers
William R.