RE: GFI Download Security

  • From: "Francois Malherbe" <Francois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:52:13 +0200

Hi guys

Actually, Download security does do antivirus scanning on files which
are downloaded, it also does attachment blocking according to a list you
can edit and it also does html scanning which will deny any scripts it
thinks can be harmfull there is also a fourth engine which escapes me at
the moment.

It is quite customiseable, but in it's default setup, it is very
restrictive and as mentioned by Dan, definitely needs tweaking for most
installations

If it has been setup correctly, it will not simply block, but will
quarantine downloaded files (according to matches in the attachment
filter) and allow an administrator to release those files - the
notification can be emailed with a link to release the files.
A cumbersome arrangement, but practical for the majority of corporates
who probably don't really want execulable code being downloaded from the
'net, but who do want controlled downloading ability.

Francois