RE: GFI

  • From: "David Vella" <davidv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:41:38 +0100

Hi John,

I am the MailEssentials and MailSecurity product manager and have been
following this thread about GFI.

As regards the Microsoft KB article, we are currently contacting Microsoft
about it as we came to know about this article from this same list, we where
never notified by Microsoft about it and reading through the article we can see
that parts of it does not make any sense, we will be checking who is the author
of the article to confirm validity and if the appropriate steps has been taken
before adding the article.

Some errors in the article are:

        "Mail Essentials contains an add-on named Mail Security"
        MailSecurity is not an add-on of MailEssentials, they are 2 completely
different products.

        "Mail Security installs an outbound SMTP sink that verifies the
validity of the sender address"
        This article applies to Exchange 2000, however when MailSecurity is
installed on an Exchange 2000 machine it does not in any way touch any sinks,
this  is because when installed on the same machine as Exchange 2000 we use the
Microsoft VS API interface as documented by Microsoft.

We have tested both products to see if we can reproduce what this article is
saying just to be on the safe side however we did not manage to reproduce
anything.  The above points also show that the author of the article did not do
real research on the problem.

We will continue to follow-up this issue with Microsoft to check what they
exactly mean by it.

regards,

David Vella - GFI Software Ltd. - www.gfi.com
Messaging, Content Security & Network security software