[isalist] Re: Fwd: ISA Server 2006 VPN Question

  • From: "Jerry Young" <jerrygyoungii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:18:49 -0400

Paul,

Thanks.  The link from Tom did the trick.

In my case, though, since this is all internal and I am simply using my
corporate internal network to simulate the "Internet" in relation to my
virtual environment, I can get away with removing the "Use default gateway
on remote network" checkbox in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings in the
properties of the VPN connection without any real fear.

In general, though, it is a considerable risk you run if you don't lock down
non-VPN traffic since that VPN client can become a proxy between the
Internet and the Corporate network.  At the end of the day, though, it comes
down to 1) your requirements, 2) acceptibility of identified risks, and 3)
any mitigation strategies that you might have in place for the risks that
are accepted.