Re: Firewall Client Installation Problem

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:25:22 -0700

There seems to be a bit of confusion (and unasked questions) here.
First, you have to decide what kind of access controls and accounting you
need.
        a. if you want to control and log HTTP access according to user or
group, then you need to have user authentication.  This is only available
via the Web Proxy or Firewall service
        b. if you want to control and log web access based on content as
well, then the Web Proxy service is your only option, as the Firewall
service doesn't delve into "content".  Note that this may also apply when
using some third-party content filters, such as SurfControl.

Options (a) and (b) requires that the user access the ISA via the Web Proxy
service; this means that FW and SecureNAT clients aren't supported for
authenticated web access, since the HTTP Redirector drops credentials.

If you don't care about controlling and/or logging based on user
credentials, then drop the proxy settings and set the HTTP Redirector to
"forward to requested web server" and it'll work "just like Proxy 2".

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://isaserver.org/pages/author_index.asp?aut=3
 http://isatools.org