FW: ISA Server

  • From: Ben Schorr <bms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:39:33 -1000

I'm forwarding this for a friend -- I'm afraid I have not much in the way of
ideas to help him and we're getting increasingly frustrated trying to solve
these issues.

Most notably the PC Anywhere issue stands out -- he has the PC Anywhere
remote client behind an ISA box, the PC Anywhere Host is out in the world
and accessible if he DOESN'T go thru the ISA host, but for some reason we've
had no success getting PC Anywhere remote thru the ISA box.

If it matters he has ISA running on a new Win2K3 server.

Any thoughts?

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr
Director of Information Services
Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert
http://www.hawaiilawyer.com <http://www.hawaiilawyer.com/>

  _____

Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 10:40
To: Ben Schorr
Subject: ISA Server

Took it down again last night.  It appears as though virtually no
configuration changes I make have any effect.  There must have be a crucial
step in the setup I failed to take. It reminds me of NT Server where the
novice might believe it was up and running, but underneath the configuration
was all screwed up.

Here's what happens:

PCAnywhere: ISAserver.org's instructions are really for having the host
behind ISA, I have the remote behind ISA and the host in San Jose.
Regardless, the instructions have no effect. Microsoft has a Knowledge Base
article on the host being on the ISA Server.  This is not the case either,
nor do their instructions work.  KB Art. 295667 is the one that should
apply, but their suggestion to create an "Allow All" protocol rule still
does not work.

Publishing Web Server:  Looks straight forward, help files followed to the
letter.  Web server still blocked to the outside.

Site & Content Rules:  Have no effect on inbound traffic.  Sometimes work on
redirecting users from a forbidden site, but not always.  Works more
reliably with IP's rather than URL's.  Something strange.  When a blocked
URL (re-directed) by the rules is opened in IE (that is, the rule isn't
working), I put the IP, vice the URL in IE and, the rule will begin to work.
After I have done that, the URL, put in IE, will from then on be blocked per
the rule.

Mail Server and SMTP: Properly routes mail to the SMTP server but applies
absolutely no filtering.  Inundated with spam while on ISA server.  I saw in
a book at borders that the SMTP server should be configured to relay through
the ISA Server. Tried that.  SMTP server  (IIS) on ISA Server machine
rejected relays. Changed to accept relays from SMTP server.  Then it stored
but would not forward any outgoing mail.  This should affect the filter only
on outgoing mail anyway, which is far less important to me.

So we are back on the router.  Need to bootstrap configure ISA Server, and
perhaps Win 2003 Server, I'm afraid.