[isalist] Re: Error establishing a VPN to the ISA server

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:22:29 -0700

Right, but that won¹t solve the problem in this case because the
³destination network² is the same as the ³local² network he is already on.
ARP¹s will use broadcast on the local segment to get to the ³destination²
because it is on the local subnet.

You¹ve gotta remember that the ³issue² is present because his internal
destination LAN is the same subnet structure (by happenstance) as the local
hotel¹s.

Let¹s say my internal LAN is 192.168.1.x.  Your internal LAN is also
192.168.1.x.  You assign a range of 10.1.1.x to VPN RRAS clients.  I connect
up to your external IP RRAS, and am given a 10.1.1.17 IP for my PPP adapter.
If your host.shinder.com is 192.168.1.222, and I try to ping it, my stack
will route that request to my local Ethernet segment because my local subnet
is _already on_ 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0.  If I wanted to actually hit your
host via the VPN, I would have to do a :
³Route add 192.168.1.222 mask 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.17² to force the route
via the VPN gateway.  I could use a ­p if I wanted, but probably wouldn¹t
since I would get a different address the next time...  And you would have
to do that for every host unless you had a high range or something on the
other side and you could subnet it out further with a different mask...

On 6/28/06 6:47 AM, "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to
all: