[isalist] Dual Nic'ed HP proliant

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:44:34 +1000

Hi,

Currently working on a brand new server, it a new HP proliant, quadriple nic'ed.

It's running W3KR2 with all updates to date applied, domain member, all HP
updates for the HP software applied, nic's have the latest firmware applied.
it's using the HP server nic teaming software. ISA2004 installed with all
updates to date applied.

The Internet connection use 2 gigabit nic's teamed to connect to a  56M frame
relay connection via a watchguard firewall (Let's not get into the watchguard
discussion, I have to work with what the company has in place) , via cat5e
cable.

They are 4 separate nic's and not dual ported ones.

The LAN connection uses 2 fibre channel nic's teamed to go to a dual redundant
cisco switch.

Before ISA was installed, teaming was working fine, both the internet and the
lan were accessable.

After installing ISA, neither the internet or the LAN is accessable, unless 1
of the teamed nic's is unplugged on both sides. i.e. 1 internet nic unplugged +
1 lan nic unplugged eerything works like a dream.

But plug either or both of the 2 that were unplugged in, and neither the
internet nor the LAN is accessable.

Disable the firewall services, and reboot, everything is fine with all 4 NIC's
plugged in.

HP field service have been twice out replaced the nic's, ran diag's and they
are pointing the finger at the ISA server. Saying it's not compatable with the
HP nic teaming software, but can not point out any documentation to support
this. Searching the internet also drew a blank.

The company configured the server using the proliant configurader, so I am
assuming that everything is compatable, and the field service people responded
in the afermative, when asked is everything compatable.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this ??

Glenn