RE: Defacing Websites A Step By Step Process By Ankit Fadia Hacking T ruths. FTP Exp

  • From: "Shayne Lebrun" <slebrun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:18:58 -0400

This is so true.  Here's an excerpt from the IIS logs of my ftp site,
which is writable, but not readable, by anonymous, as it's used as a
drop box.
11:32:20 217.0.55.19 [12]USER anonymous 331
11:32:20 217.0.55.19 [12]PASS guest@xxxxxxxx 230
11:32:21 217.0.55.19 [12]created /1kbtest.ptf 226
11:32:22 217.0.55.19 [12]DELE /1kbtest.ptf 550
11:32:22 217.0.55.19 [12]created /space.asp 226
11:32:24 217.0.55.19 [12]DELE /space.asp 550
11:32:31 217.0.55.19 [12]created /500k 426

Note the creatioon of various test files, the attempt to delete them
(which isn't allowed :-)  and the uploading of 'space.asp' which uses
the FileSystem Object to list the available drives and what not on the
system.  Of course, the directory that this FTP server is in is isolated
from the rest of the file system, and doesn' t have a webserver
associated with it, so it's moot.