Re: DNS setting-Is this right?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:59:50 -0700

Hiya Tom!

That's expected behavior with W2K DNS and you'll actually see the same issue
even with the ISP DNS in the external interface; the internal resolution
will bomb out for 'x' time.  Notable is that with the DNS resolvers split
across NICs, the whole NIC, not just a DNS entry, will get blacklisted when
even one DNS query fails.  That's the main reason for placing them all in
one NIC.

I'm still trying to find some way to modify the "blacklist" timeout that W2K
DNS cache has.
I'll review the SP2 fixlist and see if anything jumps out at me.

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG